Edwin Wilson ARAS
Edwin Wilson: Painter and Poet (27 books)
Edwin Wilson, born posthumously, 1942, initially lived at East Wardell, then Mullumbimby.
He had drawn from infancy. A visit to the Queensland Art Gallery inspired him to paint throughout 1954, on repeating sixth class.
Art not available for boys at Mullumbimby High. He continued to paint, and won the school ‘dust jacket’ award (1957).
At Armidale Teachers’ College (1960/61), surrounded by the Hinton Art Collection, he studied art as an elective, and painted through his early teaching years, with tuition from Geoff Tyndall, and took a unit in The History of Fine Arts (1967, UNSW).
From 1968-1972 he worked at Armidale Teachers’ College, then at The Australian Museum. A chance meeting with Brett Whiteley made him put down his brush for many years.
From 1980 he transferred to the Sydney Gardens, enrolling art classes at the RAS on his retirement (2003).
Elected Exhibiting Member (2008), he won the ‘Medal of Distinction’ (2010), followed by his first joint exhibition (with Bruce Herps) at Artarmon Galleries, and a Mullumbimby-themed exhibition at the Tweed Regional Gallery ( 2014).
Elected ‘Associate’ (2015), with RAS Retrospective (2016), launched by John McDonald